Jul 17, 2009

Girls Can Like Superman Too!

Cell Phone Picture of the day.

Emily has recently learned about "boy things" and "girl things." I'm not particularly happy about this but I suppose it's just to be expected.

The Girlfriend bought this shirt the other day. Emily has this thing for Superman (which of course isn't based on any actual working knowledge of Superman, but is based on the fact that The Girlfriend loves Superman and Emily loves The Girlfriend and loves making her smile). She saw this shirt and lit up. The Girlfriend thought that I wouldn't let her wear it to school and honestly, I probably wouldn't have had she not mentioned it.

And then I got pissed at myself. Why can't she wear it? It's an awesome shirt that makes her happy. And I HATE that someone at school told Emily that girls can't like superheroes or cars (becausw between the three of us, The Girlfriend. Emily and myself, superheroes and cars are pretty important) and I hate that, at three years old, someone, some little snot of a child is telling my daughter what she can and cannot do.

Emily loves superheroes. She loves princesses. Her favorite color is purple and she loves purses and dress up. She loves firetrucks and baby dolls and rain boots and Hannah Montana. Her tastes are varied and wonderful and I want them to stay that way.

So. She wanted to wear this to school and that was fine with me. The Girlfriend and I had a talk with her about what to say if anyone teases her, and we both told her several times how awesome she looked. She hugges The Girlfriend and aaid "thank you SO MUCH for my shirt."

When we got to her school she ran ahead of me to the kitchen and, striking a muscle pose, she said to one of her teachers "look at mt shirt! Supermannnnn!!!" and then she ran, waving her arms to her classroom where she did the same thing to the teacher in there.

I hope that she doesn't loose this.

1 comment:

  1. Yes!
    And how!
    I loved superman when I was little. Hugely much.

    I am also going to send you something I miraculous found at the Village Discount the other day which will add to the gender bending of your lil' one's wardrobe. <3


    p.s., MAIL ME THAT LETTER PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete