Jul 8, 2009

Education

So I think I've taken too many sociology classes. Emily wanted to watch Snow White after we got home from the park. I was doing laundry so I decided to let her. I didn't think she'd actually watch it because she's not so in to actually sitting down and watching things. But she did. After I was done putting the clothes away, I made her the oh so healthy dinner of a hot dog with barbque sauce (oh my god! hot dogs! tv! worst mom ever!) and I sat down to watch with her. That Queen used to scare the ever living shit out of me.

Anyway. We're watching, and Snow White eats the apple (which I used as a good example of Why We Don't Take Food From Strangers), and she falls in to the sleeping death or whatever. I'm watching with Emily and explaining what's happening, reading the dialogue on the screen between Snow White "dying" and the Prince coming to find her. So the Prince comes along and kisses her and I was so bothered! What kind of guy comes across a dead girl in a glass coffin and decides, I know, I'll kiss her! Her lips were probably so disgustingly chapped and she's surrounded by these strange little men and he just walks up and kisses her. I missed the beginning of the movie, and maybe that was important. I know that the Prince knew Snow White, so, whatever.

But then she just gets up and rides away and the castle is all lit up in the sky and everything's perfect.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not a feminist. I'm all for equal rights and equal pay, and the lack of reproductive rights in this country drives me insane. But I have no problem being treated like I'm a girl. For any feminists out there, don't let that statement freak you out. But I like haviong doors opened for me, I like not taking out the trash, I don't mind looking pretty. I like those things and I have no problem with Princess movies in general. They're cute, harmless movies. Which is why it's so strange that I am so bothered. I know that Emily's not going to learn that that's what life is about. I know that. But it still really bothered me that all of a sudden, with one kiss, Snow White is great and Emily says "aw mommy, she's so happy!"

I don't know.

1 comment:

  1. Part of it, for me anyway, is that in Snow White, the prince gets her, without almost any challenge or otherwise friction whatsoever.

    He hangs out, hears there might be a princess, chops his way through the vines to get to her, kisses her and then they ride off into the sunset, with the vines subsiding, and the evil witch is just like "aw, snap." -- I don't even think she really gets what's coming to her at the end, either, though to be fair, it's been a looong time since I have seen the movie.

    At least in other princess movies there's a little bit of friction in terms of actually getting the princess to like the prince. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete