May 17, 2009

Simplicity

Yesterday there was a charity event hosted by my work. It involved some horse shoes and some beer with the proceeds going to benefit, I believe, a boy with a certain rare type of leukemia.

The Girlfriend and I dropped Emily off at The Girlfriend's mom's house around 8:15a and we headed out. It was at a fairground in town that was also hosting some sort of race that involved me having to drive verryyy slowly, and a gun show (that The Girlfriend wants to go to today). The Girlfriend was on a team with her boss and they won their first game and lost the second two, and were then out. I don't remember who won the final game of horse shoes, but it was all in all a good day. Good people, good cause, good fun. The weather was gorgeous and I came in a very low cut shirt to show my support. It was a promise I made to The Girlfriend's boss, haha. Sometimes there're advantages to having big boobs. Most of the time, they're a pain in the ass. But they do look good in low cut tops.

After it was over, I went to pick Emily up and we went to the park. She LOVES the park. She was incredibly tired because earlier that day she had gone to a parade and worked in a garden. But we had a good time. However, as is always the case, when she was with The Girlfriend's mom, she ate french fries with barbecue sauce, donuts, candy, and drank a lot of orange juice. While we were at the park, Emily got attacked with OMG I NEED TO GO TO THE BATHROOM NOW so we headed home, because of course there're no bathrooms at the park. We left and headed back out to the park, and then I got a call from a friend from work, and we went over to his house so Emily could play with his youngest daughter and I could hang out with him and his wife and another friend from work and his girlfriend. More good people and good times.

While we were there, I was standing in the corner having a cigarette and when I put it out, I smashed my head on some wind chimes. Being 5'10 in a world of mostly 5'6-5'7
people is definitely annoying. So the chimes are going off, the two boys are doing their best Australian accents, talking about catching wallabies and my jumblies hanging out, the girls are inside screaming because Barbie Rapunzel (puke) was on, and the radio is blasting some sort of rap song, and I just started cracking up. Cracking up to the point that my ribs were hurting and I couldn't breathe. It was awesome.

My writing isn't up to par today. It hasn't been in the last week, thus the lack of posts. I have this issue with things not being perfect, and though I would never claim my writing to be perfect even on my best day, I'm usually able to capture more humor from things. But I'm making an effort not to give up just because I'm not satisfied. How's that for dedication?

I run most of my life based on what I want to teach Emily. What kind of influence I want to be, how I want her morals shaped, and when I think about these little tiny things, it makes me get my act together. So, here I am. Posting.

Last night we got home pretty late. I think I walked in the door at ten o'clock, which is veryyy past Emily's bedtime. We walked up the stairs and Emily started doing that little kid whiny cry-ey thing that little kids do when they're tired, and I wrapped her in my arms and let her cry for a minute. Then she went to the bathroom, brushed her teeth, took her fluoride pill from the dentist, and got in her bed. I went to snuggle up with her and read her a book, and she said "Momma, I don't want a book tonight. Will you just say prayers and sing me a song? Please?" Of course I did. Then I kissed her on the head and started to get up and she shot her arm out, "NO!" I stopped and asked her what was wrong. "Momma, can you just lay with me please? I just love you and want you to lay with me."

So I got back down and nestled her head in to my neck while my heart melted out on to the floor. I love how simple her requests are, how simple it is to make her happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment