May 28, 2009

New music

It's something I love. Deeply. I can honestly say that there isn't much music I don't love. i grew up singing, and listening to the jazz and classical music of my grandparents. Then I listened to the rock and roll of my mom and got introduced to Janis Joplin by my dad. I got in to pop music through my friends and grew to have an unhealthy love for The Backstreet Boys, although NSYNC was alright too. And Hanson. Oh my god, Hanson.

In high school I got much more in to the pop punk stuff. Alkaline Trio, New Found Glory, The Ataris (before So Long, Astoria), all of that. To this day Alk3 and NFG are two of my favorite bands. Call me tasteless. Anyway. I downloaded the new Panic! CD today and have to say, I'm not very impressed. Their first CD BLEW ME AWAY with it's level of awesome. This one, well, I've only listened to it three or four times. So we'll see. Right now I have Mandy Moore on in the background (I know. You think she sucks. That's fine. I have no problem being the dork.) and it's weird. Very unlike her cover album or the pop stuff she did ten years ago.

Emily's in her room where she's supposed to be sleeping. Instead, I hear her telling her monkey off. "Monkey, you listen to me. You don't walk around doing whatever you want. You have 'sponsibilities! I'm not playing this game with you and I know you want to watch Hannah Montanna but I have to go to work and go bye-bye so you just need to deal, ok? When I tell you to do something, you just do it." Yeah. I totally don't know who she's imitating. NOT A CLUE.

I took Emily out to dinner tonight. It's something we haven't done in a very long time. After a day that for me was filled with anxiety, frustration, and endless sighing at a certain financial situation in my life, I really just didn't want to cook or clean or do anything like that. The Girlfriend is out with her best friend and I didn't want to sit at home alone. So Emily and i went out. To The Olive Garden.

Now, I know some people who HATE The Olive Garden. But me? Hell no. I LOVE it. I love the "italian" food, I love the uniformity, I love the smells, the "authentic" menus, everything about it. And the breadsticks? Come on. Even the haters need to admit that the breadsticks are pretty fantastic. Emily was amazing. She always is, surprisingly. She said hi to the waiter, ordered her food "with pepperonis please" and asked me how my day at work was. We talked about our days while the grandparents at the table next to us kept smiling at Emiyl's back and winking at me.

The kid really does surprise me sometimes. She is an incredibly well-behaved child. She has a lot of spunk, a lot of will power and when she's hurt by something she acts out like no one I've ever met. But in general, she really is very very well-behaved. I think I got lucky. But at the same time, I'll credit my parenting a little bit.

Anyway. This post is pointless. And I'm going to go puke. Because my stomach is bursting with GENUINE CHICKEN MARSALA.

2 comments:

  1. YAY HANSON! LoL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a great parent Melissa...Loving and stern, Emily will grow up to be as strong willed and loving as you are...

    ReplyDelete